Thursday 14 August 2014

YOU KNOW ME?

A few months ago, I went on an outing with the Meaningful Seeds -these are the children of the members of the Meaning Men and Meaningful Women groups ( you can ask more on that later. And I am sure you will believe me if I tell you that we had a meaningful outing –children are really wonderful.

Part of the fun we had was games. Some of the children came with different games. There was this particular game that one of them brought –“Yunomi”. Sounds funny, right? The game can be played between 2 or more persons who are supposed to be friends e.g. spouses, siblings, class mates’ e.t.c.

The Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary defines a friend as “a person YOU KNOW VERY WELL and like, and who is not usually a member of your family”. Note the capitalised words.

As many of us expect, a friend is someone you believe should be there for you when the need arises –a friend in need, is a friend indeed. I recently came across a quote: “The fastest way to find out if someone is really your friend is to tell them you’re broke”, (laughs).

Well, the issue is not necessarily about asking someone for money. But rather about the question “you call me your friend, do you know me?”

I was chatting with a senior friend and mentor who left the country some years ago and he made the statement “I know you very well, though I left the shores of Naija for long”. Hmmmm.….okay,  I think he does.

Back to the capitalised words in the definition. How many of the people you call your friends do YOU KNOW VERY WELL? Your spouse inclusive? And how many of your friends can really so much of you that they know? Likes? Dislikes? Best this? Best that? E.t.c.

I guess it won’t be a bad idea to take time out to know to really know your friends; it can make your life meaningful…

Now ask your friend "Do you know me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meaningful Morning_OPENED HANDS

Meaningful Morning OPENED HANDS Psalm 104:27-28 KJV "These wait all upon thee; that thou mayest give them their meat in due season. ...